Friday, June 25, 2010

we are so cool

The other day I was at work and Detroit Rock City by KISS came on my Ipod. I realized how ridiculous the intro to that song is - it starts with the sounds of somebody starting up a car and hearing I Wanna Rock and Roll all night being played on the radio. Then the actual song starts, which is all about hearing your favorite song on your way to a show and it totally making your night. This is a concept that I can SERIOUSLY get behind, but the fact that they are referring to another song of theirs as the song that is going to make your night, as opposed to the current one you are listening to - anyway, it gets confusing. This really got me thinking about bands with songs that are all about themselves, or referencing their old hits. It feels like when a band comes to a point where they are big enough to reference their own personas, it must all be downhill from there. Of course one of the prime examples I can think of is TONIGHT by New Kids On The Block, and I suppose they were never considered cool in the first place. The first verse of that song reads:
"Remember when we said, girl, please don't go,
and how I'd be loving you forever,
taught you 'bout hangin' tough as long as you got the right stuff,
didn't we, girls, ooh, didn't we, girls, aah?"

UMM I GUESS YOU GUYS DID ALL THAT STUFF?? Since they were no longer hanging tough on the streets of Boston, it was time to sing about all the fun they had on their past hits and how COOL touring the world was. It was time to move on to bigger and better things, and Tonight was all about how they were ABOUT to do that. It is the prologue to a crappy book that was never written. Plus, it features midi trumpet.




1 comment:

b e t h H A R R I S said...

its like some weird sgt pepper rip off